Popularly called “Queen of Hills”, Mussoorie is indeed a charming and fabulous hill station that attracts throughout the year people of all ages. This place is located just about 34 km. from the city of Dehradun and at a height of around 2006 mts in Garhwal hills. It is also considered to be the most beautiful and frequently visited hill station in entire North India. This small sleepy tourist hill town is said to have been the discovery of an English military officer, having laid a foundation by constructing a shooting lodge at this place. Now, you can come across several 4 star hotels in Mussoorie that boasts of offering its guests with the latest facilities and amenities.
Making the most of the trip
If this trip is a weekend getaway from your hectic schedule, then the planning needs to be well crafted one. The entire trip should be relaxing and smooth and it will not be wise to rush up things, as it is relaxation that you are looking forwards from this weekend trip. There are several tourist attractions here that do need special attention. Planning them out with the travel agent can help you to cover many of them without getting stressed up.
Some popular tourist attractions to visit
- Gun Hills, Mussoorie’s 2nd highest peak is worth the visit. The ropeway ride to the top is about 400m which is really exciting.
- Kempty Falls is located at a height of about 1370m.
- Municipal Garden is visited by tourists and locals alike, making it an ideal place for picnic and relaxation.
- Bhatta Falls is located close by and offers viewers with amazing experience.
- Sir George Everest House or Park Estate as it is popularly known is the perfect place to witness the mesmerizing Doon Valley or the snow peaked Himalayas.
- For horse ride or evening stroll, visit Camel’s Back Road.
- The other wonderful waterfall in this region is Jharipani Falls.
- The famous temple here that is visited by Hindu pilgrims round the year is the Jwalaji Temple. It offers the visitors with panoramic view of the beautiful Yamuna Valley.
Exciting adventure sports
Adventure freaks, nature lovers and trekkers are sure to enjoy the pine covered hill slopes, the snow-capped peaks, fabulous views of the crucial points, colourful orchids and gurgling streams.
Things to do when in Mussoorie
There are several things that can be done during the trip to maximize fun and entertainment like:
- Nature walks
- Wildlife sighting
- Roller skating
- Para gliding
- Trout fishing
Festivals and Fairs of Mussoorie
- The Nagar Palika Parishad is known to host the Summer Festival which includes educational events such as debates and seminars, entertaining events and cultural parades.
- The Municipal Board Autumn Festival organizes the Autumn Festival, which is regarded to be among the major festivals that are celebrated here with great pomp and grandeur.
- Bhadraj Temple is said to organize Bhardwaj Festival, a fair which is held in August third week annually (Shravan Sankranti).
These are some of the popular events and places that you can visit during your trip to Mussoorie.